Through the OBSA Outreach program, we aim to grow the sport of Goalball in Ontario and to increase the capacity to deliver sport to the visually impaired through professional development opportunities for all participants
The OBSA Outreach program is designed to raise awareness about the unique benefits that comes with participation in blind sport. Our Outreach initiatives are offered across the province to educate students, professionals, and community members on sport for the visually impaired; development opportunities in the blind sport industry; how to get involved; and sport adaptation techniques. The program instructs on a person-to-person level the general adaptations that are possible in sport, specifically those used in Athletics and Goalball, though other sports are addressed upon request. We demonstrate ways in which to include participants who are blind or visually impaired in traditional sport programming and instil a mantra of appreciation by having the group experience what it is like by engaging in sport blindfolded.
Through the Outreach Program, we are able to offer hands-on programming, individualized instruction, different types of resources and ongoing consultation afterwards. Cities that have successfully started up their own Goalball leagues are Toronto, Sudbury, Kitchener, London, Brantford, Kingston and Ottawa, due in large part to our Outreach program.
- Free of charge
- Timeframe: 1-2 hours
- A typical program can include:
- General introduction to goalball & blind sport (and opportunities for you)
- Warm-up on track (with guides)
- Drill #1: Goalball Introduction (passing, throwing)
- Drill #2: Goalball Defense (fundamental movements, strategy)
- Drill #3: Game Simulation
- Wrap-up: overview of professional development opportunities
- Coach certification pathway
- Referee certification pathway
- Volunteering (capacities include competition, guide running, event management,
- Other sports upon request
If you are a sport-conscious group leader who would like to know what our Outreach program can do for you, please contact our Richard Amelard at (416) 426-7244 or here.